Sunday, August 3, 2008

Peat Fire

I had an eventful weekend. So much so, that my whole body still aching from the effect of it. Never did I plan to pack in so much, as I was thinking of have a relaxing weekend this week. However, things start to pack up since Friday night.

First, I have a meeting with some friends till 12 midnight. I am planning to go to the morning watch in the church on Saturday morning, but I can't wake up for it. During the very last minutes too, one of my student sms to request me to fetch her to Putrajaya for some outing arrangement.

My wife and I had to sacrifice our morning, and we headed to Putrajaya. We were expecting to have some rest in the evening. But, as some says, the nature have its way.

We were watching movie at home when we smell of things burning. Our initial thought was that some people must be burning rubbish again. So, we just shut all our doors and continue watching X-Files. However, 15 minutes later, the smell got so strong that we are a bit worried. We pulled open the curtain and to our horror, we can't even see the tree outside our apartment. I thought the apartment must have caught fire.
I go to the back balcony only to realise the bush beside our apartment is one fire!

By then, the fire has spread rapidly. It's so fast that we can't do anything as the wind was blowing strongly. My initial reaction was to ask my brother to remove my car parked just opposite the bush. Then, I ran down trying to take any I can find to scope water from the swimming pool to douche the fire. Not many people were there at at that time, and some are busy trying to remove bike park just beside the fence. I don't have any photo to show as I was busy putting off the fire.

I only have this picture to show as my wife caught me 'in action' with a small pathetic hose. Not much of water pressure but, at least better then nothing. I just try to keep the fire coming closer to the fence. I have tired myself carrying the buckets of water...

About 20 minutes later, only did the fireman arrive. They just take their own sweet time, and even my brother whom is a voluntary fireman, have to help them to 'run the hose'. And then, we have to try to help them, because, they are about only 3 of them came in 1 fire engine.

This is the part where, we are so frustrated. People standing at the side, just trying to show how smart they are, trying to give us instruction on what to do. Some who are there also try to take the water hose from us only to return to us when they find out the water hose is leaking. This will happen to the water hose, to release some pressure from it! If not, it will burst! And to make the matter worst, they try to direct the pipe though we are already putting off some fire!

After about 20 minutes, the fire was put off. I left and get ready to go to church for the evening service. However, my brother told me the fire came back about 5pm and the fireman have to be called back.
The next morning, I went down to take a look at the place and this is what I saw. This picture didn't show the whole area but just only part of it.
This is the part where its just opposite where I park my car!
Take a look at the stretch of burned tree. The only stretch that burn at the fencing, is exactly, where I have park my car, about 10 feet away. If I had come down later, I will have to bid my faithful car bye bye...
The whole process of trying to put off the fire was make worst when we found out that the hydrant pump don't have a key to turn on the water. One of it, after turning it on, there are no water coming out from it. And, the water hydrant in the apartment, don't have any adaptor for us to connect the hose to...If this have been the apartment on fire, our apartment would have gone to ashes!

Isn't this a familiar story of why the fireman can't put out the fire...

leaking hose...hydrant don't have water...don't have the right adapter...and the list goes on...


The weather now is so hot, and i hope the authorities are keeping on their toes. And for us, just be carefull with what we are doing. A single spark can caused catastrophe!

No comments: