Wednesday, July 4, 2007

to LAH or not to LAH

Lately the STAR newspaper has been running the articles about what malaysian is to you? I have been following this column in Star 2 for the pass one week. its amazing to read about what the younger generation (not that I am old, I am just 2 years above the age limit) write about being Malaysian.


I have been growing up in this part of the world for the past 27 years..and when you ask me, you like Malaysia or not, I CAN'T tell you!!!Yes, I like it here because of the multi culture, multi racial community that we live, we have a lot of food for me to samples, can understand and communicate in at least 3 different languages, live in the country once boast to have the highest building in the world (now is still the highest twin tower in the world, KLCC) and even have food round the clock without me having to worry I can go hungry ans stuff to die....but NO, I dont like it here because, I dont like the wheater, the sensorship that we have here, in order that we can live in harmony (I guess we have a price to pay for everthing) and again...I can't write it here because its sensitive. Nevertheless, its a beautiful country to live in.



One thing about Malaysian, its the -lah attitude that we have. Malaysia are so easy to recognise when I travel simply because when we talk, we have the '-lah' suffix to our sentences.



Me: Hi, nice meeting you. By the way, where are you from?



A: Malaysia-lah



Me: I see. No wonder-lah. I see you talk like this, I also guess-lah you are from Malaysia.



A: Ya-lah. Me also-mah.



and this "-lah" conversation can go on and on...



Malaysia use lah more than what we think it is. Its not just s simple addition to our already multi language, multi culture and multi race society (as if, mastering 3 language is easy), but Malaysian use this lah suffix to emphasis their sentences. Malaysiana publish an articles about the application of lah

(Source:All Malaysian.info)


Most of us never realise that we use this suffix in our conversation but we all used it-lah.

What to do...since we live in a place where we have Pak.... :)

No comments: