Friday, March 7, 2008

Budget Travelling

One of things that I have the privilege of doing since I am young is to travel. I love travelling.

Come on… I know you too love travelling. Most of us love it.

When I was a little boy, I used to hear it a lot from the aunty and uncle and all those grannies and ah pek that I must have a MOLE on the sole of my feet. That’s why I love travelling so much… that’s why I travel so much!

This is like the kay po ee having the big black MOLE on her lips!

Well, I know I am a privilege since young because every body tells me so!
I have travelled to overseas since I am three though not far, but at least, I managed to travel. All the time, when I travelled, I will go with my grandparent. So, I have my personal international passport since I am three years old.

I still remember when the first time I travelled on a plane, to Singapore, when I am years old, I cannot sleep at night. Since then, I have been to few countries around Asia such as Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, China, Thailand, Hong Kong, Cambodia and New Zealand.

However, the way I travel change as I grow.

I used to like travelling with travel agency because they take care of everything. You don’t need to worry about food, accommodation, where to visit and to certain extend finances. All that has been included in your package!

But, I don’t like rushing from one place to another, changing hotel like changing your socks…

So, during my universities days, my taste of travelling changes. I love backpacking then…not just it’s more cost saving but I can control my own time. If I like that place longer, I would stay longer there.

And, I would go back to the country for second, third or even more visit because, each time, I would spend time in just one or two places… this way; I could really enjoy the place, the culture, food and even mixing with the locals.

One of the places that I have been visiting many times is Indonesia. My first visit to this country was when I was 14. At that time, I spend two weeks travelling through the Java Island; from Jakarta all the way to Bali Island.

For the past few years, I have been travelling to Sumatra and cover quite a fair bit of the place. In between, I travelled to other countries too.

I was browsing though some pictures taken during my trip to Indonesia as I wonder why this place captured my heart, and find some interesting pictures explaining it.



First is the hospitality of the people there.


Brastagi; which is about 2 hours bus ride from Medan
I love this place call town. It’s on a mountain and the road turn as you make your way up. Along the way, you will pass the Danone factory and quite a number of churches and small townships. It’s chilly up there. And from there you can see the volcanoes.

Most of the people there are poor and they are farmers. Tourism is slowly making its way to this place and the locals are slowly benefiting from it. Though they are poor, they really open their house to tourist like me. They even invited me to one of the wedding that was held when I was there.





I also love the simplicity of life there. Some of their houses still are not equip with electricity and some live in a wooden house. For those who lives in cold country would know that wooden house without electricity won’t keep you warm, especially at night. So, what they do here is to paste newspaper all over their house to ensure the wind will not blow in and to keep them warm.



Another thing that captures my heart here is the beautiful sceneries that you can see at country side.












When I travel, normally, I would try their local transport. I love to travel like the locals do and to enjoy what they go through. And most of the time, this is the cheapest way to go. I preferred travelling by bus too so that I can see more places rather than flying.





Another thing when I travelled is also that I want to sample most of their food. How can you travel to a place and you don’t try their local delicacies.







I wish I have more delicacies pictures to show you but, most of the time when I eat, I EAT and forget about other things…

But now, I don’t have the time to do such travelling. If I do go, it will have to be short because of work commitment.

AND, you don’t tell me that I am rich so that’s why I can travel. When I say I go travelling, it’s always budget and backpacking. I don’t go for HOLIDAY! That’s different. I would love to go for holiday overseas too. When I travel, normally, I work at the same time.

No comments: