Thursday, September 4, 2008

KL Butterfly Farm

Merdeka for most people is to watch the parade or to sleep in... for others, it's the usual 'balik kampung' in masses. I am one of those who will always try to go back hometown and savour all the Penang foods! But this year, I decided not to do that but to stay back in Kajang! And only to find out, it's so hard to get a friend for a meal. This is when we decided to do something or go somewhere near.
KL Butterfly park, that is! Nested in the KL Lake Garden, this butterfly farm is home to about 1000 butterflies. Around the vacinities, you can visit the KL Bird Park, one of the largest covered avairy in the world, the Lake Garden, the Orchid Garden, Asean Friendship Park, the National Monument, National Museum and many more! We drove down about noon, and was there about 2pm. The entrance fees cost us RM8 per person and an additional of RM1 for camera and RM5 for video camera. Tripot is not allowed in the Butterfly Farm!
Appart from butterflies, there are lots of flowers and plants around to make this place a haven for butterflies!
The whole farm is created in a way to be like the jungle! There are ponds and water flowing around the park. Trees are grown in every corners and flowers are blooming everywhere. These helps in providing the nectars for the butterflies!
The butterflies roams freely in this covered park and some are not afraid to come near to you!
My purpose of going there is to take pictures and at the same time to visit this place as I have not been there before. I have heard about this place many times from people and friends, and most recommended me to pay a visit.
Armed with my camera, I just clicks away in this place. Well, my beloved just spend her time walking around and patiently waits for me as the 'bugs' continues to hit me! Before we know it, we have spend about 1 hour in the park but hardly cover a quater of the place. And our ticket only allowed us to be in there for 4 hours! (this is the downside of the place)
We read that there are many species of butterflies that can be found in here but some continues to be elusive. We spotted a few nice one but some are really hard to spot! Patience is a virtue in this place and we have to keep our focus and look carefully between the leaves for butterflies.
Things get harder when rain started to fall, an hour and half into our visit. We found a pagola for shelter and this is built high. From up there, we can see a lot! In fact, we can see 360 degrees of the park! Rain stops after half hour and the butterflies are out again. Some just try to find some sunshine to dry their wings while a lot are dead!
This particular one, fly and stop by our side and flipping its wings to dry it!
We continue to be in there for more than 3 hours and I continue to shot away!
This is one BIG toad that we spotted in the pond. The sound of it can be heard throughout the park! This frog is huge and this photo does not do any justice to it! I think this frog must be as big as my feet!
Here are more of the pics I took during my 4 hours trip to Butterfly Park!
Flowers are common so are the grasshoppers and dragonflies!
I spotted this grasshopper and try to take a picture of it before it leap on the next leaf! Then, here are two!
And then, before we leave, my beloved just asked me to take a pictures of the Hibiscus flower since this is our national flower and the day is our National Independance Day!
I know this is way to late, but Happy Merdeka!

And by the way, do you know that we have a national butterfly too? Guess what is it?



The Rajah Brooke! Now you know it!

No comments: