Saturday, October 6, 2007

No I am not Afraid... And it's the Scar of Glory

The nation have been captivated by the miracle story of Hui Yi's heart transplant. Not that she manage to pull through the whole procedure, but she made it through freaking twice in 24 hours. The first heart tranplant she had to endure about 10 hours and only hours later, the body rejected it. Miraculously, another heart is available for her. Within 24 hours, 2 hearts that fit her (in size, no damage to the heart, same blood group, etc) were found...So, she went through the knife of the doctors again, to replace the first heart. The whole nation is praying her speedy recovery. And thank God, the second heart show no sign of rejection, though she is still in critical condition. Another similiar story from the same first donor too made headlines few days ago, receiving lungs. This Sarawakian too, made good recovery after the first transplant.All these, thanks to the set up of Institut Jantung Negara.
Hui Yi (from The Star)
Captivated by the success of the transplant, I am challenge to make a different too. Well, I don't have any organs to donate now,but I am determine to do something. So, yesterday morning, after some chores, I decided to donate blood... Yes, freakingly having needles to be prick thru my hairy hand, and donated a bag of blood.


Look how happy I am in the morning, on my way to Tesco Extra in Cheras

This is not my first time donating blood. I have been donating blood during the Ramadan season. This is because during this time, the blood bank runs low in blood. Mainly because, our Muslim friends are fasting and can't donate blood. SO, YES, YOU!!! able body and healthy people, go to the hospital or blood bank and start to donate blood now and help somebody! Don't just sit around but get your bumbs moving now for somebody might need your help. Not just organ but blood too...

coming back.....So, I went back home to change and make my way to church, and donated blood. Our church organise blood donation every year to help out the community. Upon reaching there, I was greated with these sights... peoples...counters... freaking long counters. First, you have fill in a form and declares that you are healthy, sleep more then 5 hours the night before, don't take drugs, not on medication, did not have multiple sex partners, and the list goes on and on... after that, you move on to the second table, you have a doctor asking you the same questions, shyly...



D: Kamu tidur berapa lama semalam?

M: 6 jam *smiling*

D: Kamu ada pergi luar negara?

M: errrr????

D: satu tahun ini...

M:???Ya....

D:Ke mana?

M:Thailand... dan Indonesia...

D:BUAT APA?

M: ...Cuti la... (thinking why she is so surprise and in suddenly asking me that)

D:Oh....Jadi, you ada practice ini tak? (shyly and pointing to a column showing HIV/ Multiple sex partner/ visit sex workers)

M: TAK Da la... Saya sudah bertunang la! Akan berkahwin la....(my mind was like, what the heck you asked me this after I say I went to Thailand...Can't we go there for business? feeling like wanted to tell her, I am going again end of the year with my wife (soon-51 days to go))

After all the interogations, my finger was pricked to check on my antigen... then, I would move on to the next counter to collect my bag for blood donations. After that, I was asked to 'go and wait' suddenly, I was greated with this sight.



Judgement chair
Freaking looking chairs, look like you are about to be punished for travelling to Thailand and Indonesia...or maybe looks like some ancient chair they used to punished the criminal by injecting lethal injection while you are chain sitting to it...And my heart pump faster....
After a while, I was ushered to a chair and two nurses came back start to wipe my hand with alcohols and injected my with a little anesthetic. And then, she pricked thru my hand with a larger needles...suprisingly without any feeling. At a moment, you feel you lose your feeling in your hand. Before I know it (~10 minutes) I am done.

Smilling happily, knowing I had did something good today.

But, the nurse who came by to put on the plaster, did it too soon, and my hand start to bleed. The 'hole' had not bleeding (blood had not co-agulate). So, she just coolly said, lipat tangan.

OK la... I also do that lo while my friend happy snapping pictures away.



And, after I went back home and removing my plaster, this is what I saw!


The SCAR OF GLORY!

So, you, move now... if you have not donated any blood for the past 3 months, go to the blood bank now! and if you have not donated before, you can do now!

And now, I am looking for info to sign up as organ donor too. After all, I don't need my physical organ when I pass away for I am made whole in heaven again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so proud of you bro..its more blessed to give than to receive....God bless

Unknown said...

yup, that's my bro...He is the best,always willing to give..haha =)