Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Penang Botanical Garden

One of Penang best kept place is this germ, Botanical Garden. Located near the Youth Park at the end of Western Road, this botanic garden is one of the oldest in Malaysia.

I remember visiting this place in my childhood days and picnic and swimming in one of the river flowing through it. Though, now the river has nearly dries up, this place still draws visitors and joggers alike.
Botanical Garden or more commonly known as monkey’s park, because of the amount of monkeys one can find here, is a beauty to stroll in.
I took the opportunity to visit this place again when I went back to Penang during the last trip.
They have various types of trees, and some I find to be quite amusing.
The shape is funny.
Some have big tree trunks and they are said to be few hundred years old.
They have some bridges too and this one looks like the Penang Bridge.
And they also have a big heart too...
I remember the stage where I used to play at and also during my secondary school days, where we have our marching drill.
Here, they also house some cactus collection
Apart from that, they also have fern house, orchid house among others.
This is a good place to visit if want to jog or just simply enjoy the beauty of trees and flowers. Any time is a good time to visit, as there are plenty of trees for shade.



But if you planning for a picnic, do be careful of the monkeys. They will rush towards food when they caught an eye of it.

And if you are jogging alone, do take a stick with you in case the monkey chase after you.

No comments: