Monday, April 14, 2008

'Chicken' swimming at Pulau Payar

One day, I had a conversation with my friend thru Yahoo Messengers and he commented about nickname I use.

Friend: ei..why chicken ah?


Chicken: emm…LOL


Chicken: all of us have a nick what…


Friend: yes, but why this?


Chicken: my name la.. ‘khai’ ma


Friend: but put you in wrong image!


Chicken: why? I’m a pimp?


Friend: ha ha ha


Chicken: I have not received any business though…


Friend: chicken hates water but you are more like fish…


Emmm… I love water activities. I swim, I snorkels and I dive!

I have been to quite a number of places, the latest to be the trip to Phuket, Phi Phi Island and Krabi where I did a lot snorkeling. Sadly, I did not went diving because, if not I would have to leave my wife behind. I am so tempted to do the shark dive!



The other place I went snorkeling was to Pulau Payar, off Pulau Langkawi.

I set off to this place from Penang and the trip takes about 2 hours by boat.


Upon reaching there, we disembark and found ourselves on top of a floating platform not too far off the shore.


Once on top, we were told to choose one of the tables there and placed all our belonging on it. There we can find our mask and snorkel too.


From the platform we can see lots of fishes thought not many varieties.


We were so eager to go snorkeling that we immediately change and jump into the water without listening to further instruction. Once in, we only realize they are feeding the fishes and we have lots of fishes swimming around us.


I felt the fishes just nibble everything, and even my foot…free foot massage huh…but I don’t like the feeling. It’s ticklish!


I just swim and snorkel and dives seems like there is no tomorrow, and drifted out further from the platform. And without realizing, I am at the edge of safety ring, put up to make sure we are within ‘visible’ distance in case of emergencies.


Suddenly, I saw a baby shark out of no where, swimming towards me. And I just turn and swim back as fast as possible shouting shark all the way… only to be laugh at (that is the consequences of not listening to briefing).


Soon, lunch was served on the platform and I must it is good and a lot too. Or was it because, all of us were hungry and anything that served at that time will taste good, smell good and feel good? Emmm… But once thing I am sure, it’s plentiful!

After lunch, we were transported to the shore using smaller boat. It’s a short trip and from there, we can see more baby shark.

ahh.. i must exercise more...two 'twin tower'


Amazingly, we saw many people just snorkeling around ignoring the baby and the ‘not so baby’ shark around them. At the same time, the tour operators at the jetty were throwing fishes and meat for sharks to eat. It’s their feeding time!


I wonder how the shark differentiate which is food, and which is not, as the people swimming around them sure looks ‘bigger’ if not tastier!


After some times, we make our way back to the platform for more snorkeling and after that, we were transported back to Penang.

We just spend about 4 hours of snorkeling and swimming in the Pulau Payar Marine Park but spend most of the time traveling on the boat, transfer to and fro Penang.


Overall, I would say the trip is good for a day trip but too expensive. Comparing what I get in Krabi and Phuket, this trip is a total ripped off.

Trip to Pulau Payar cost about RM 180 per pax, inclusive of boat transfer, food, snorkel and mask, and entrance to the marine park. We spend about 4 hours on the marine park and 4 hours of boat ride.


In Phuket, trip to Phi Phi Island will cost RM100, inclusive of hotel transfer, boat transfer, food, snorkel and mask, entrance to Marine Park, visits to 4 islands surrounding Phi Phi Island, unlimited flow of carbonated drinks and fruits, and definitely a better maintained marine park, cleaner beaches, and more varieties of fishes!


I always feel, traveling locally can be more expensive then traveling to oversea such as Thailand, Vietnam, Loas and Cambodia.

So, if I have my choice, I would choose to go to Phi Phi Island. Take a flight to Krabi or Phuket and from there; take the boat to Phi Phi Island. After all, AirAsia offer cheap flight there!

If not, fly FireFly to Koh Samui!

1 comment: