Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Salmon in ginger and soy sauce

Having staying at Hershey for so long, another thing we miss very much is the fresh and relatively cheap seafood back in Malaysia. Imagine that I am not a seafood fan and miss seafood, what more to say about KC?!

There are crab, prawn, lobster, salmon, red snapper, tilapia but most of them are frozen. Lobster is selling at cheaper price compared to Malaysia but we still couldn’t afford to have it too frequent. One lobster will normally cost $15 and during sales, it can go down to $8. We normally buy frozen cooked prawns here as the uncooked one smells bad for me and the texture is too mushy. We have been wanting to try salmon fillet but we hesitated because of the tilapia fillet that we bought when we first arrived here. We didn’t realize it’s farm-raised and it had the muddy smell. We try to look for wild caught salmon and we finally find some at Walmart with the affordable price.

Although it’s wild caught,  I still worry about the strong fishy smell. So  I decide to marinade it with rice wine, pepper, soy sauce and pan-fried it with a bit of corn starch. Then serve it with fried ginger, onion, garlic in soy sauce (mixture of dark and light) and chopped spring onion. Yum yum… It’s a bit crispy outside but tender and juicy inside. I will definitely get some more of the salmon fillets the next time I go to Walmart so that I can try out more recipes.

I think I‘ve put too much dark soy sauce and it’s slightly too dark 

DSC03948

No comments: