Friday, December 3, 2010

Steam Chicken with Mushroom and Ginger

This is one of my favourite recipes from my MIL. I like it because it’s very healthy and simple. All you need is chicken, chinese mushroom, ginger, oyster sauce, black pepper and a pinch of salt. However, my MIL will serve this with fried shredded ginger and dark soy sauce as dipping sauce which makes this taste even better.

Personally, I like ginger and I use a lot of it in my cooking, especially for meat and fish. It’s spicy-sweet taste not only get rid of the unpleasant flavor of meat or fish, it gives the dish a totally different yet wonderful taste and aroma. We know old ginger as a heaty spice. But a lot of people didn’t know that  the skin of old ginger is actually not heaty and it balances off the heaty ginger flesh. So next time, when you cook with ginger, don’t peel off all the skin. My mum used to cook ginger with egg and Foo-Chow red wine to ease my menstrual pain. It’s very famous among Foo-Chow people and the most important thing- It works!!

Ginger in America is more expensive compared to Malaysia. Worst thing is I couldn’t get young ginger, turmeric or galangal here. Turmeric and galangal are the members of ginger family but they taste so different from one another. Imagine ayam percit or rendang without them!! That’s why I miss rendang so much now *sigh*. Anyway, I have some ready mix rendang paste and I am going to cook it very soon Winking smile

Ingredients

  • 2 chicken leg quarters or 6 drumsticks
  • ginger (sliced and shredded)
  • 3-4 pieces rehydrated chinese mushroom (sliced)
  • 1 tbsp. oyster sauce
  • black/ white pepper
  • salt (to taste)
  • sesame oil (optional but it gives credit to the dish)
  • 3 tbsp. dark soya sauce
  • sugar

Steps

  1. Trim off the skin and fat of chicken.  spread the oyster sauce, pepper, salt, sesame oil, ginger and mushroom on the chicken
  2. Steam the chicken for  40-45 minutes
  3. Meanwhile, fry the shredded ginger until brown and crispy and set aside
  4. Boil the dark soya sauce with 2 tbsp. of water and sugar (to taste). It’s supposed to be thick and sweet
  5. Serve the chicken together dark soya dipping sauce and fried ginger

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Josh said...

Wow, look yummy! I love ginger! :-D

Just one question, young ginger or the mature ginger?

KC said...

We use mature ginger for steaming. but for frying, we use young ginger then its not that hard.